Are you having a hard time sleeping while pregnant? A comfortable mattress may be just the answer to your sleeping problems. You can stay comfortable in bed and enjoy a sound sleep even when pregnant by changing your sleeping position and getting a comfortable mattress. During the second and third trimesters, this is especially important. Falling to sleep quickly after the baby is born is just as important as getting proper sleep while pregnant and the comfort of your mattress plays a huge role.
Follow these tips to help you stay comfortable in bed while pregnant.
1. Sleeping Positions
Pregnant women should sleep on their left side. During the first trimester, you can lie on your stomach or back. But as the pregnancy grows, you will find sleeping on your stomach is almost impossible due to the growing belly. After the first trimester, you should avoid sleeping on your back as it compresses the vena cava, decreasing oxygen in the placenta.
2. Raising the Torso and Head
Many pregnant women experience heartburn which can become worse at night. Due to pregnancy hormones, stomach acid moves up into the esophagus. You can help prevent this by raising your torso slightly, about 6 inches. Also, avoid sleeping on your right side, pregnant or not, as this position is more prone to cause heartburn. This is because, due to gravity and the shape of your stomach, in this position, your stomach is actually above your lower esophagus leaking acid onto the lining of the esophagus creating that burning feeling.
3. Get a Good Mattress
A good, comfortable mattress is essential during pregnancy. Your body is changing and a pregnancy-friendly mattress should adapt to those changes.
Best Mattresses for Pregnancy
Getting the best mattress for pregnancy is crucial. You should invest in an excellent bed to provide you with the comfort and support you need during and after pregnancy. There are two types of mattresses that are especially ideal to keep you comfortable while pregnant—memory foam and hybrid mattresses.
- Memory foam is made of viscoelastic polyurethane that supports and comforts the contours of your body no mattress what position you sleep. Memory foam also absorbs movement which is great when you have a restless partner. When choosing a memory foam mattress, it’s important, especially when pregnant, to choose one with high-quality memory foam. This is because cheap memory foams produce off-gassing and toxic odors that can cause respiratory problems. High-quality memory foam mattresses like Tempur-Pedic don’t have this problem.
- Hybrid mattresses combine memory foam and other comfort layers with the inner springs of a traditional mattress. The memory foam provides you with contouring comfort and the innerspring, usually pockets coils, provides support. The added benefit of a hybrid mattress is that the innerspring allows for airflow which helps with mattress breathability. Airflow helps to reduce heat buildup in mattresses.
The Benefits of Having a Good Mattress
A good adaptive mattress is essential for pregnant women because:
- It provides you with the support and comfort needed throughout all three trimesters and after
- It reduces excess heat for a comfortable temperature during the night
- It reduces tossing and turning while you sleep
- It allows you to get the quality sleep your body needs
Best Mattress Brands and Models for Pregnant Women
TEMPUR-LUXEbreeze® Soft Mattress
The mattress regulates the heat through these cooling techniques;
- SmartClimate Dual cover system. This is hypothermal and produces less thermal energy. The sheets are cool to touch when you sleep, giving you instant body cooldown.
- PureCool+ Phase Change Material. This material is a thermal gradient that traps heat away from your body while you sleep
- TEMPUR-CM+. This technology cycles heat and humidity out of your mattress for maximum airflow while you sleep.
The TEMPUR-LUXEbreeze® is compatible with all adjustable bases for additional customized comfort.
Sealy Hybrid Mattress
The cooling foam and cool-to-the-touch mattress cover feature cooling fibers to make sure you keep a comfortable temperature while you sleep.
The DuraFlex™ Pro Coil Edge System gives better support on the edges of the mattress. The Edge System also provides more sleeping area, a solid seating surface, and better flexibility with adjustable bases.
Additionally, Sealy Hybrids reduce motion transfer to prevent your partner from disrupting your sleep.
Sealy Hybrid mattresses are perfect for pregnant women and mothers who need their sleep. Specifically, the Sealy Posturepedic Plus Hybrid provides exceptional benefits for pregnant women.
Lastly, the Sealy Hybrid is perfectly compatible with adjustable bases to allow for adaptable sleeping positions.
Serta Arctic Mattress
The Sera Arctic mattresses also have an innerspring system that conforms to your body’s curves. It offers support to your belly and is very comfortable.
This hybrid mattress also has the 1025 Hybrid Support™ System with BestEdge® Foam Encasement for confident edge support and adaptability as you move.
And of course, it’s also compatible with adjustable bases.
Every Purple mattress is designed to relieve pressure points while supporting your every curve. Paring it with an adjustable base provides a perfect sleep experience for pregnant women.
Best Adjustable Bed Frames For Pregnant Women
The TEMPUR-Ergo Smart Base
This bed base is linked to a mobile app and is Smart Home compatible. So whether by the wireless remote, your phone, or by voice, you can always control the position of your bed. The mobile app monitors and manages your sleeping data. It tells you the ideal time you should sleep and wake up and how well you slept during the night. It’s perfect for those nights when heartburn won’t let you sleep. Simply raise the head section of the bed 6 inches at the push of a button or by voice command.
The TEMPUR-Ergo® Smart Base is the perfect bed base for effortless comfort and one of the best bed bases for pregnant women.
Purple Ascent Adjustable Base
This base has a Zero-Gravity mode that raises your head and feet to distribute your weight evenly. It is ideal for pregnant women and helps relieve back pressure or foot swelling. There is also an anti-snoring preset in to stop you or your partner from snoring without nudging the other awake.
Advantages of Adjustable Bed When Pregnant
Every pregnant woman should have an adjustable bed for reasons including:
- Customize your comfort
- Relieve backpressure
- Reduce foot swelling
- Reduce heartburn
- Stop snoring
These are just a few of the benefits of an adjustable bed when pregnant. Test one out to find out for yourself at one of our Best Mattress locations in Las Vegas and St. George.
Get the Best Mattress for Pregnancy
Mothers are amazing and being pregnant is tough enough as it is. Don’t lose sleep on top of it all. Do yourself a favor (or get your partner to do it) and get the best mattress for pregnant women. Add an adjustable base to complete a uniquely comfortable sleep experience you deserve.
Visit one of our many locations in Las Vegas, Mesquite, and St. George, UT, to find the best mattress for you during your pregnancy and the many wonderful years of motherhood. If you need assistance, our sleep experts are happy to help you. You can also order online with prompt home delivery.