Whether you’re sleeping with a young child beside you or dealing with the realities of adult incontinence, most of us are going to have to get pee out of a mattress at some point in our lives. However, if you don’t handle it the right way, it’s easy to end up with an unsightly stain and, if you’re particularly unlucky, a lingering odor. To make sure you don’t have to end up throwing it out, we’re going to look into how to get pee out of a mattress.
With this guide, you should be able to stop a stain from forever marking your mattress. We have tips below that work for both traditional mattresses, foam mattresses, and foam hybrid mattresses.
If The Pee Is Fresh
Though fresh urine is by no means anymore pleasant than the dry kind, then you are in luck. While it’s still wet, it’s easier to clean it from your mattress. If it dries, then you’re going to have to rely on the steps a little further down in this post.
What you need to clean fresh urine from a mattress:
- Baking Soda
- White Vinegar
- Clean Towels
- A Spray Bottle
- A Vacuum
If you’ve just woken up to some fresh pee in the bed, just follow the steps below. Not only can it get rid of the stain, but it can get rid of the odor, too.
- Take all the bedding off the bed and put it into the washing machine as soon as possible.
- Fill a spray bottle with mix of white vinegar and water. It should be one part vinegar to one white water.
- Use a towel to clean the pee out of the mattress. The towel should be pressed firmly, but not too hard, into the mattress. You’re looking to soak up the urine, not to scrub it. Scrubbing it will only push the pee deeper into the mattress, which will make the odor stick.
- Once you can no longer soak up any liquid by pressing the towel into the mattress, you should then spray the vinegar/water mix over the entire area that is visibly affected.
- Use a towel to soak out the excess liquid left over.
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the entire affected area.
- Leave the baking soda to sit for at least 8 hours, but if you can leave it there for longer, that can make it even more effective.
- Vacuum the baking soda and see if the stain and odor are gone. If not, repeat the process from the beginning.
Sometimes, it may take a few tries to completely get the pee out of the mattress, but eventually this method should be completely effective.
If The Pee Is Dry
If you haven’t been lucky enough to get to it while it’s still fresh and wet, then you will have a tougher time cleaning the pee. It’s not impossible, however. You just need a stronger solution instead of relying solely on common household goods.
Here’s what you need to clean dry pee from a mattress:
- Baking Soda
- Liquid Detergent
- Hydrogen Peroxide
And here are the steps to follow. If effective, they should get rid of not only the stain but any lingering pee odors.
- Mix the baking soda, liquid detergent and hydrogen peroxide together into a spray bottle. You should use 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 3 drops of liquid detergent, and 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide and lightly swirl the bottle around instead of shaking it. Some use a couple drops of essential oil to add a perfume/scent-masking effect to the mix as well.
- Spray a liberal helping of the mix over the area that has been stained by the pee. You want to evenly cover it all, and don’t be afraid to use the entire bottle if you feel like you have to.
- Give the mixture time to dry. You can tell when it’s dry as the baking soda will form a film over the top of the mattress.
- Vacuum off the remaining mix. If there is still a stain or odor, simply repeat from the start.
Whether Pee Or Something Else, Best Mattress Always Has Your Back
At Best Mattress, we want to ensure you always have the best night’s sleep possible. Our blog has plenty of sleeping and mattress care tips. If you’re feeling your bed doesn’t do it for you anymore, or you didn’t get to that pee in time, we have a huge selection of mattresses suited to every body shape, every sleeping habit, and every personal preference.
Invest In A Mattress Protector
If you want to prevent having to go through the entire process of cleaning pee out of a mattress consider investing on a mattress protector. Not only will it prevent dust mites, dander, and skin flakes from building up in your mattress, it also can protect your mattress from liquid spills and pee. We have many styles of mattress protectors to choose from available online or at your nearest Best Mattress store.