Calm peaceful young lady wearing sleeping mask, enjoying night dream, napping in comfortable bed at home.
If you find yourself lying in bed, staring at the ceiling night after night, you’re not alone. Many people struggle to get the shuteye that they need to be at their best. For some, getting to sleep can take hours. Here are a few techniques to help you fall asleep quickly.
Fall Asleep In Just 60 Seconds
If somebody told you that it was possible to fall asleep in just 60 seconds, what would you say? Would you believe them? Interestingly, it turns out that there are a couple of techniques that you can use to fall asleep fast.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
The first is progressive muscle relaxation or (PMR). The idea is to tense and then relax your muscles to release tension. Try this:
- Raise your eyebrows and then count to five in your lead to tighten the muscles in your forehead. Then relax for ten seconds. You should notice that the tension you felt there has disappeared.
- Now do the same for your cheeks. Smile widely and count to six in your head. Then relax for ten seconds.
- Next, squint with your eyes shut for six seconds, and then rest for ten seconds.
- Do the same for the other muscles running down your body, such as your triceps, back muscles, abdominals, and leg muscles, removing the tension from each. After each movement, you should feel more relaxed.
4-7-8 Breathing Method
The second technique is the 4-7-8 breathing method. The idea here is to use the power of inhalation and exhalation to help you relax and drift off into a deep sleep. Here is what you do:
- Place your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Keep it there for the duration of the breathing exercises.
- Purse your lips together and inhale through your nose for four seconds. Count “one, two, three, four” in your head if you need to.
- Hold your breath for seven seconds.
- Then breathe out through your nose and mouth for a total of eight seconds while making a “whoosh” sound.
- Keep repeating this cycle but try not to think about it too deeply.
- Do a total of four cycles, lasting around a minute. Allow yourself to feel the relaxation that the exercise produces.
Other Ways To Fall Asleep Quickly
There are, of course, a variety of other techniques that can help you fall asleep quickly.
If you are prone to rumination, you may want to tell yourself to stay awake. No – that’s not a typo: this paradoxical technique can actually help some people fall asleep faster.
You can also try visualizing a calm place in your mind and taking yourself there.
Finally, you can change your bedding. There is nothing like a nice clean bed and new sheets to help you fall asleep. At Best Mattress in Las Vegas, we offer a host of bedding products designed to help you get a better night’s sleep. The more comfortable you feel, the less stress will bother your mind.