Scrubbing urine from your mattress isn’t the most glamorous of topics, but it is something that you need to prepare for, especially if you have a weak bladder, pets, or a baby. The good news is that you don’t need to freak out if you have an accident. You absolutely CAN clean urine from your Tempur-Pedic mattress and avoid it going to rack and ruin.
The vast majority of Tempur-Pedic mattresses come with defenses against urine damage. The purpose of mattress protectors, for instance, is to prevent sweat, water, and other debris from getting into the core of the bedding and making it smell. Sometimes, though, protectors fail, and you’re left with what seems like a very tricky situation indeed. Urine is inside your mattress, and there seems like there’s no option other than to throw it out and start again.
In this article, we’re going to take a look at how to clean foam mattresses like the Tempur-Pedic and prevent little accidents involving urine from burning a hole in your wallet.
How To Clean Fresh Urine
Foam mattresses tend to absorb more liquid than their regular sprung counterparts. And for that reason, they can be more challenging to clean. The good news is that there are still things that you can do if you’re ready to spring into action. All you need are the right tools and a little bit of knowledge about the best process to clean up the mess. Even if the mattress is soaking wet, you can clean it up and return it to normal – as if nothing ever happened.
Follow these steps to clean urine from your Tempur-Pedic mattress:
- Strip your bedding and place it all in the wash according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Put white vinegar and water in a one-to-one ratio in a spray bottle: 50 percent water, 50 percent vinegar.
- Put on a pair of plastic gloves to protect your hands from contamination.
- Grab a dry towel and begin blotting the mattress. Try to encourage the moisture to leave the bed by applying the correct amount of pressure. You don’t want to push too hard, as this could force the urine to spread out further through the interior materials. Just push hard enough to draw out as much liquid as you can. Paper towels may be more useful here than regular towels you might find in the bathroom.
- Once you finish blotting, spray the area liberally with the water and vinegar mixture. Then continue blotting with your towels to draw out more of the liquid.
- After that, cover the affected area with baking soda and let it sit for eight to ten hours. The baking soda should neutralize the urine and help to draw any remaining moisture out of the mattress. The result of this process should, hopefully, be to prevent the bed from smelling.
- Please wait until the baking soda is completely dry and then use a vacuum to remove it from the surface of the mattress.
- If you notice that there is still an odor, you can repeat the above process, reapplying the water/vinegar spray and baking soda as many times as you need. Eventually, the smell should dissipate, and you should be able to rescue the mattress.
How To Clean Dry Urine From A Tempur-Pedic Mattress
Sometimes you don’t realize that there’s urine on your mattress until it dries on. Dried-on urine is much more difficult to remove than wet, but it is still possible if you have the right tools to hand—most of the compounds that you need you can buy from the dollar store.
Here’s how to clean dry urine from a Tempur-Pedic mattress:
- Create a high-strength cleaning spray using the following dollar store ingredients: 8 oz hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda, two to three drops of liquid detergent (such as dish soap), and a few drops of essential oil. Lavender is a popular choice here.
- Place all of the ingredients in a spray bottle and then start dispensing over the affected area – anywhere you can see pee stains.
- Leave the cleaning fluid to dry on the mattress until the baking soda residue forms.
- Use a vacuum to clean up the excess. The process should remove visible urine marks and prevent them from smelling in the future.
- If you notice that the smell persists, continue repeating the process. It might seem like a bit of a hassle, but once you’ve made up the solution, your work is almost done. Continue spraying and vacuuming until you get the results you want.
How To Clean Up Pet Urine From A Mattress
Cleaning up human urine is relatively straightforward. Mopping up after pets, however, is a different story. Pet urine, especially from cats, tends to smell much more strongly than human pee. Their bodies remove different types of compounds from their bloodstreams, many of which smell far more than ours.
If you notice fresh pet urine on your bed, you may need to take a different approach from the one we discussed above. A mixture of vinegar and water might not be sufficient to deal with the problem.
We recommend skipping straight to the hydrogen peroxide formula described above for dealing with dried-on urine stains. This formula contains powerful agents that help to neutralize bedding and remove the effects of the smell of the pee entirely.
If you notice a recent accident, put on some gloves, blot the area and then sprinkle with baking soda. The baking soda will turn darker over time as it absorbs the pee inside the mattress and draws it out. Then vacuum the mattress and remove all of the baking soda from the bedding. If the smell persists, then try using the above method for removing dried-on urine.
In summary, cleaning urine from a Tempur-Pedic mattress is possible. What’s more, it is something that you can do with regular dollar-store equipment and materials. You don’t have to throw out your old mattress and start again, helping to keep your bank balance healthy.